DONE: Amelia (Olivia) the Pig

| 1 Comment

life of kamm | amelia / olivia the pig

Amelia (Olivia) the Pig
Dress pattern: The Olivia Dress/Top (Craftiness Not Optional)
Collar: self drafted
Leggings: Target
Bonnet pattern: Sun Bonnet (PurlBee)
Ears: self drafted
Fabric: Cotton Couture in Cherry, Cotton Couture in Bright White, Cotton Couture in  Creamsicle
Notions: grosgrain ribbon, iron-on interfacing

* * *

life of kamm | amelia / olivia the pig

It took me awhile to come up with an idea for Ame’s very first Halloween costume. I (of course) searched Pinterest for inspiration. I scrolled through pictures of feathered chickens, furred black cats, tulle princess superheros, fleeced lambs, stroller dolls and just didn’t see anything I loved. I even thought about just giving in and buying a Snow White or Ariel costume from Costco. You know that was probably defeat after the boys decided they’d rather wear store bought costumes instead of lovingly, handmade ones. ;)

I was sitting on the couch playing Go Fish with Miles when we saw a commercial on NickJr for Olivia the Pig. I’d read the book not too long ago to Miles, so I was familiar with the character. I remembered how much we enjoyed reading the story and that little red sailor dress and striped tights were just much too cute. I started brainstorming immediately. Within minutes, I knew exactly how I would put it together – I already had a dress pattern, knew I could find a bonnet pattern, and figured I could google instructions on making peter-pan collars.

The Olivia dress/top pattern is one I’d sewn up many times before and what a coincidence that it had the same name as the book character? It’s such an easy and adorable pattern. It sews up quickly, Jessica’s instructions are easy to understand and her detailed photos are really helpful.

I looked at many peter pan and sailor style collars. After studying the basic construction of each style, I was able to sketch out what I wanted. I couldn’t figure out how to attach it to the dress and then figured it would be better to have it unattached to enable wear of the dress after Halloween. I sewed up a couple of  muslins before I had the pattern perfected but all in all, I think it took maybe an hour and a half to design and make (and I’m a very slow sewist). I opted to not include the buttons on this version of the dress. I’m still nervous about trusting buttons that have been sewn on by hand anywhere that Ame can reach and tug and possibly snatch off and eat.

I had a harder time finding a bonnet pattern that I liked. I ended up using this pattern and omitting the sun visor. I added bias tape around the base of the bonnet and used an extra long piece around the front of the bonnet and down for the ties. I drew out the ears myself after scrolling through example photos online. I used one layer of stiff interfacing when sewing them up. I should have used two. Once I got them attached, they flopped around and looked very un-Olivia like. :( My mom suggested making a small snip in the base of each ear and adding in a thin piece of wire to make them stand up at the angle I wanted. Thanks Mama!

So, there you have it: Amelia (Olivia) the Pig.

life of kamm | amelia / olivia the pig

life of kamm | amelia / olivia the pig

 

Author: nakia

Mama. Wife. Lover of unicorns, chocolate chip cookies and pepperoni pizza.

  • Jessica Christian

    this is SOO adorable, and I also love that the pattern and character names match!!